Monday, September 3, 2007

Friday, 31st August - Day one- 71 kilos?!


I had been asking around a number of days about a respectable gym that is frequented by women and heard of this one that is a unisex gym but with different hours for men and women.

So I walked in on the Friday morning, into this gym and asked the a thousand questions.

I told them that I will be returning to such activity after nearly twelve years now. So I have to start slowly. I got to know that the hours for women will be upto 12 noon.

"Do wear shoes." is all they told me after assuring me that I could come over in my regular north Indian wear of salwar kurta.

So off I went home with a promise to return the next day.

Back at home, I could not imagine waiting upto 'tomorrow'. Last many years, I had wasted many a tomorrows. So in a while after doing some work, I dusted the caked grime from from my winter shoes and tried them on. Perfect for walking!

Grabbed a towel and left the house with in-laws watching TV news of Salman Khan or something like that! Too busy to ask me questions about where I was headed and I slipped away. Within minutes I was back at the gym.

"I though I'd better begin on a Friday, than a Saturday (considered inauspicious by northerners for beginning new missions)!" I offered.

Weighing scales! What? 71 kilos? Oh my God!

There was another lady, Sadhana didi(a way to address a woman with respect)who was walking with ease on the non-automatic treadmill. I walked in and assumed my walk on another.

While a fan cooled the other woman, my side had none. Also, years of abstinence from sports had taken a toll. So in every few minutes, I was off the mill, wiping sweat and huffing and puffing.

Acting brave, I shared notes with the lady.

She was a former Kabaddi (an ethnic and ancient Indian sport)and at one I felt at home.

Cycling, twisters and calisthenics done, I realized that I was a far cry from the girl who had run sprints and won college championships. But the feeling was exhilarating! Like returning to your real love!

"Go slow on the amount you do in a day," said the instructor, making a sign of mock-dying while adding, "or you will be..."

So I returned home after promising to add a few exercises the next day.

Back at home, I was thirsty more than hungry. I forgot to tell you folks that I had only had a cup milk less green tea with basil leaves in the morning. So now I made myself a glass of lime juice with sugar and returned to my bedroom, wondering how many kilos I had shed already?!

Ha ha ha!!!

I know, you know that I was only kidding. Patience man.

More tomorrow.

No comments: